Hi hi!! This will be quite a long entry, with quite a few things to cover – so hang in there! I will be covering firstly, my review & application of the new NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint (it’s darn awesome!), preview of the new Spring Collection & Hot Sands Collection, and finally, my next event with NARS where you get to learn makeup tips from the NARS team and also get to play with these new products in a personal cosy setting!
This March, NARS will be launching a matte counterpart to their radiant skin tint – the Velvet Matte Skin Tint (VMST). I have been using this base for the past week, and when something is impressive, I can gather my thoughts on it quite fast. Like the radiant skin tint, the coverage of the VMST is nothing tint-like at all. It has a lightweight medium coverage, and has the coverage of a foundation, but the feel and texture of a tinted moisturiser.
Here’s the official NARS spiel on the VMST for your information:
THE NEW MATTE. UNCOVERED.
Introducing Velvet Matte Skin Tint SPF 30 Instant gratification. Effortless application. Protects and perfects with a soft-matte finish. Oil-free. All-day wear.
Transparent Blurring Powders instantly enhance the look of skin by helping to diffuse imperfections with a powerful optical effect.
The powders’ unique, spherical shape compresses like a cushion, delivering a velvety-smooth, touchable feel and superior comfort on application.
REFINED PORES & SHINE CONTROL
Rose Fruit Extract visibly minimizes the appearance of pores, while controlling shine.
Vitamins C, E, and broad spectrum SPF 30 protect against free-radical damage caused by environmental stress.
THE SOFT-TOUCH LOOK
Simply touch and go for an effortlessly perfected look. Glide on Velvet Matte Skin Tint to instantly even skintone with a soft-matte effect. Follow with Radiant Creamy Concealer where needed to instantly diffuse imperfections.
What I like about the VMST:
- I like that it has decent SPF – only 30, but it is level up from the usual 20.. so I feel like I can get away with skipping the sunscreen if I am going to be indoors most of the time.
- It has a velvety texture – much like the Jouer Tinted Matte Moisturiser which I have, but hardly used. I will share why later.
- I use the shade 01 Finland – I am usually Deaville in NARS bases, but for this, Finland suits me best.
- It does have decent oil control and achieves that elusive balance of radiant and matte.
- I have a feeling this will suit a range of skin types, from the oily to dry skin.
- It lasts well throughout the day. Score!
Here’s some close ups – swatches and all. I feel like I haven’t done these type of pictures in a long time!!
And some application process pictures – I am going through a fingers application method lately, where I just apply whatever base I am using with my finger tips.
The VMST lends itself well to this application method
- you do need to work fast, apply and blend it quickly over moisturised skin. I skip any primer or sunscreen, so that (1) pic is my own bare skin, which is pretty clear these days – thanks to a few new face creams I am LOVING – more of that in an upcoming entry.
- it sets to a soft matte finish quite fast, and if you want, you can skip your usual setting powder.. like if you are a creature of habit like me, you can still lightly set with your loose powder – I used my Dior Nude Air loose powder in 010, which is so lightweight, it just seals in the goodness of the skin tint – refer to (4).
- the coverage is really quite a good medium, as you can see in (3) how it looks neutralises the red undertones of my skin. And if you compare (1) to (4) the end result is a more neutral skin tone, everything is even out, but yet still skin like.
I also brighten up my undereye area with the NARS Creamy Radiant concealer – which is fantastic in terms of coverage and how it doesn’t go all streaky and cakey under my eyes.
Fast forward to some brows, lips and finishing up the complexion later.. and not to mention a proper hair blowdry so it has some sort of a ‘style’ a chic bob I would like to think, you can see the overall look and finish of the VMST.
What I did to achieve this:
1.Filled in brows with ABH brow promade in Granite. This is a soft charcoal black, which can be scary but it really goes with my black hair. I still find the brown tones easier to work with, and I usually prefer a light big brows for my face.. but some days, this granite is pretty awesome and sharp.
2. Warmed up my complexion and added highlighter with the new NARS Hot Sands cheek duo – this contains the Hot Sands highlight (very subtle, but the highlight on fleek is there), and Laguna bronzer (my current go bronzer to of late).
3. Added subtle cheek colour with NARS Impassioned blush – this is also upcoming, from their Spring Collection.
4. Define my eyes with liquid liner – my fave is Tom Ford eye defining pen. No eyeshadows (I should wait another couple of months before I touch my actual eyelids). If you don’t know what I am talking about, read my Dec Ramble entry.
5. Lippie I used is NARS Vip Red, which I think is from the Steven Klein collection. I wore it quite lightly. It is beautiful and just pulls the whole look together, right?
and more selfies:
a pictorial representation of the NARS stuff on my face
The NARS Hot Sands collection was launched recently,and it contains the HOT SANDS Illuminator, which is a nice peachy liquid face highlighter – I prefer to mix such liquid highlighter into my foundations for that subtle all over glow. It has a peachy base, so I don’t think you can dab this on the top of your cheeks.. but it is not sticky, and subtle enough for you to mix with your foundation or even the VMST for extra glow.
I love the Hot Sands duo – both shades are universal, and this duo is really easy to work with, a must-have if you don’t own Laguna 5 or 6 times already in other cheek palettes.
A while back I also had the chance to preview the new Spring colours which are all droolsome –
You need that Impassioned blush, it is a soft pink orchid shade, very wearable, and so chic.
I also love BANNED RED lipstick – which is described as a MULLED WINE shade, at the preview, 3 or 4 girls were wearing this, and it looks different on all of them. This is a total must get shade.
Rosecliff lipstick and Kari dual intensity eyeshadows are both soft rose shades that are perfect for this spring.
Overall, this collection will appeal to everything, whether you love a pop of bold colours, or prefer to stick to the soft girly muted tones.
Swatches, of course:
NARS will also be launching two new palettes – the shades aren’t exactly ground breaking, but the packing will get you every time. The cheek palette contains everything you need, contouring, bronzing and cheeks.
And now, for the NARS x MAKEUP BLOGETTE event:
I hope that you will join the NARS team and I for this exclusive – limited spaces available – 2 hour makeup workshop. Details below:
Date: 5 March, Saturday
Time: 11am – 1pm
Venue: Tiann’s – 71 Seng Poh Road #01-35
*Limited seating capacity*
Registration Fee: $65/per person, not redeemable on NARS products. Inclusive of 2 drinks & doorgift worth $85 (5 mini lipsticks)
For registration, you can simply RSVP here: http://bit.ly/1Pmxa9p, payment is only by paypal. Or alternatively, it will be over the counter (TANGS or Robinsons) by cash. For any further enquires you also can direct your questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope to see you and play with makeup at this workshop!
Thanks for reading this long long entry, and have a fab week!